This morning my sister and I went to a talk on Nepal earthquake humanitarian aid, conducted by Malaysian Relief Agency.
The talk was conducted by Dr Hyzan, an orthopaedic specialist in Sunway Medical Center. He went to Nepal for five days as a scouting team before MRA can send a full fledge volunteers.
During his talk, obviously what Dr Hyzan talked about was his experience doing humanitarian work there. I can't go into details, but a few points below hits home:
1. There are kind hearted people even at the cruelest time and place
I'm not saying that Nepal is a cruel country, in fact I bet it's the contrary. It's what happen after the disaster that makes it a cruel, complicated place and time. Imagine a city torn to rubbles, with electricity and water supply cut off. How is that not cruel?
What I felt glad to hear though, was that even in a place where things and times are so trying people are still so helpful. There's still hope regardless of the bad news you're hearing everyday. Am I making sense? It's just probably me who's too optimistic, but really, I haven't given up on humanity.
And as a Muslim, you'll be greeted by a Muslims community even at the unlikeliest corner of the world.
2. Race is (probably not even) secondary
Dr Hyzan said of all the NGOs from various country volunteering in Nepal, Malaysian is one of (if not the most) openly accepted people in the world. You can probably guess why. Malaysia has been openly receiving foreign workers for so many years, and despite creating some (I think minor) issues, this creates some sort of fusion and integration. So the bright side of it is that there's reciprocation when we enter their country.
One time while Dr Hyzan was taking a breather and drinking tea, a Nepalese approached him and asked, "Awak orang Malaysia?" Yes, in fluent Malay.
3. Grab your chances
This is more of my personal view. For the past five years or so I've been wanting to go to Nepal. From what I've seen in pictures, Nepal is such a gem. Even from the pictures of collapsed building shown by Dr Hyzan, the place still looks fascinating. Had I follow my instinct to visit before, I would have enjoyed the beauty of Nepal in its original nature.
Same goes with Syria.
But I guess it's just not my rezeki. Then again, I guess not everyone receives the same chances in life.

No comments:
Post a Comment