
When I first watched the trailer, it feels as exciting as watching paint dry. I didn't feel like watching it at all.
Then the review came. Rotten Tomatoes gave a collective review of 77%. So OK, I thought maybe the trailer deceived me. So I watched it.
It's about a guy, Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) who's small in size but big in determination and will. And yet very kind-hearted: "I don't like bullies, I don't care where they're from". And yet he's determined to kill Adolf Hitler. Eye-rolling.
But hey, mind over matter right? Professor Erskine (the ever talented Stanley Tucci), thinks he's the awesome subject for his experiment; a serum that boosts the lab rat's physical based on whether his nature is good or bad. Yup, seriously. His earlier subject became Red Skull, the movie's bad guy with, uh, a red skull as a head. Shouldn't he turn to be another Adolf Hitler?
So, serum injection with and - tadaaa - of course it worked. The lab rate became a Captain America, an all-buffy fighting and propaganda machine. Why the hell we have the comic title on the first place?
And from zero Steve became a hero. And stopped Red Skull and world invasion. Spoiler? Naah, how else would it end?
So, let's go through the checklist for a superhero startup movie. A superhero? A supervillian? A love interest? A reason/ accident to be super? Check to all those. But it almost feel like there's nothing super at all, just like a testosterone version of McG'sCharlie's Angels. What this movie lacks is a storyline. There isn't enough drama, conflict and a sense of super-ness.
This movie, to me, is just OK. But it's a big budgeted (I assume) superhero movie and being just OK is not enough, it has to be explosive. And in the presence of X-Men: First Class and Thor this year, this movie won't stand a chance for a superhero movie.
Maan, I should have agreed with my instinct.
No comments:
Post a Comment